I took a walk to the Santa Monica Pier this morning and saw a multitude of homeless people in various degrees of awakening. Affluent people stroll and jog past the homeless as if they aren’t there. I saw a nice looking, young couple get out of their car and feed a parking meter. As I looked closer, I saw a man sitting on the sidewalk slumped against the very same parking meter. Sometimes the homeless can’t be ignored.
My Reboot: Solo Route 66 Trip Introduction
1. Route 66: Day One
2. Route 66: Erie, PA, to Elkhart, IN
3. Route 66: Elkhart, IN, to Normal, IL
4. Route 66: Lebanon, MO, to Chandler, OK
5. Route 66: Chandler, OK, to Amarillo, TX
6. Route 66: Amarillo, TX, to Santa Rosa, NM
7. Route 66: Santa Rosa, NM, to Gallup, NM
8. Route 66: Gallup, NM, to Williams, AZ
9. Route 66: Williams, AZ, to Barstow, CA
10. Route 66: Barstow, CA, to Santa Monica, CA!!!!
11. Route 66: Santa Monica Pier
12. Route 66: Stars’ Homes Tour
13. Route 66: Live taping of Jeopardy!
14. Route 66: Taping of Chelsea Lately Show and a Taste of Traffic
15. Route 66: Arcadia, CA, to Flagstaff, AZ
16. Route 66: Meteor Crater!
17. Route 66: Amarillo, TX, to Tulsa, OK
18. Route 66: Tulsa, OK, to Terre Haute, IN
19. Route 66: Terre Haute, IN, to HOME!
20. Route 66: Twitter Updates
Here’s a gallery of photos from the trip.
A Couple of Articles Written for Suite 101:
Traveling Route 66 Solo By Car
A Nine-Day Guide to Driving Route 66
Ann Silverthorn (Twitter: @annsilverthorn) is a versatile blogger who also writes about a wide variety of topics in numerous genres, including technology, travel, creative, and grant writing.