You’ll find a thousand tofu scramble recipes on the Web and in cookbooks, but none more easy and delicious than this one. I took my favorite recipes and combined them into a one-pan dish, ready in about 30 minutes.
Best-Ever Tofu Scramble
Total Time: ~30 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
Per serving: ~250 calories (Protein 10g, Carbs 15g, Fiber 5g, Fat 15g, sodium 150g, potassium 120g)
- 14-16 oz. package extra-firm tofu
- 3-4 Tbsp. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos*
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup shredded vegan cheddar
- 2 Tbsp. Earth Balance buttery spread
- 2 scallions chopped
- ½ red pepper chopped
- 16 oz. frozen hash browns
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together amino acids, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, sea salt, turmeric, and the olive oil.
- Drain tofu and crumble into small pieces. Add to the bowl and toss lightly. The tofu should turn light brown or yellow. Mix in shredded vegan cheddar. Set aside.
- In a large, non-stick fry pan, heat the buttery spread over medium-high heat. Brown onions and peppers, stirring occasionally until they soften. Add the tofu and fry until it starts to brown.
- Push tofu and vegetables to the center of the pan. Surround with frozen hash browns and add a few tablespoons of water, if necessary. Cover. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and stir together all ingredients. Cook over medium heat for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Enjoy your tofu scramble.
*Substitute with soy sauce or tamari, if necessary.
Photo essay below:
Ann Silverthorn is not a chef, nor is she a nutritionist, but she knows her way around a kitchen pretty well and can use knives without injury, most of the time. If you try this recipe, please tell us what you think in the comments. Comment with questions, too!